Ultrasonic scalers are instruments used for scaling to aid in the removal of tartar, plaque, and calculus. By consistenly having scaling done the chances of gingivitis or periodontal disease diminishes. Our instruments use a vibrating thin tip to better navigate in the periodontal pockets to help maintain optimal gingival health.
- The procedure is chemical free, only water is used
- It can remove plaque and calculus in hard-to-reach areas without any harm to the tooth
- Hand scaling often uses pressure for cleaning, while the vibration produced by the scaling tip of an ultrasonic scaler is barely perceptible
- The scalers are great for sensitive teeth
- The cleaning process is faster than hand scaling
Professional Cleanings & Exams
Cleanings are professionally performed by a licensed dentist or hygienist in our office. Having your teeth cleaned is equally as important to your dental health as daily brushing and flossing. With the help of specially designed instruments, the dentist or hygienist will:
Remove plaque build-up from the surfaces of teeth. (Bacteria in the mouth form plaque, which collects on teeth and causes decay, gum disease, and gingivitis.)
Remove tartar/calculus from tooth surfaces. (This hardened plaque requires special instruments and procedures to be removed properly. Tartar below the gum line is also an indication of gum disease.)
Remove surface stains from teeth by polishing.
Some patients may require a deep cleaning due to extensive gum disease or previous periodontal therapy.